Back to News & Events
UNC Chapel Hill Institute of Marine Sciences Molecular Training Facility Fall Workshop: Nov. 3-8
Nov. 3-8, 2013 — UNC Institute of Marine Sciences, 3431 Arendell Street, Morehead City
This UNC-CH IMS Molecular Training Facility Fall Workshop will train the water quality professional to proficiently conduct QPCR analyses for monitoring of recreational waters. The participant will conduct hands-on learning of the following:
- QPCR Theory and Application
- Conducting QPCR to Fulfill MIQE Guidelines
- QA/QC Procedures for Successful QPCR
- QPCR Proficiency Testing
- Analysis of water samples using the USEPA recommended method for QPCR-based rapid quantification of Enterococci in recreational water
- Analysis of water samples using QPCR-based rapid quantification of Enterococci and E. coli for recreational waters using method variations
- Real world sample processing and analysis from sample collection to result, for rapid methods
- Critical issues related to sample processing and DNA purification
- Identification and troubleshooting of inhibition of QPCR
- Analyzing data and reporting results for QPCR
The workshop will also feature:
- A one-day QPCR "Boot Camp" intended for the novice to learn proper pipetting and molecular QA/QC skills prior to the start of the workshop
- Training on a range of available QPCR platforms, and exposure to the newest in technology for sample processing, purification, assay user-friendliness, and laboratory convenience
- USEPA contributed lectures and interaction on the successful implementation of rapid methods at your beaches
- Information on side by side comparisons of qPCR to culture-based methods
- State of the art discussion on implementation of source tracking methods for use in managing recreational waters
- Airport pickup and transportation available at no extra cost when flying into and out of New Bern, NC airport
- Information on development, optimization and application of a range of water-relevant source tracking qPCR assays
Learn more about the workshop including pricing, materials provided and/or registration.
For questions about the workshop, please contact Rachel Noble at email@example.com.
For a list of all Sea Grant funded projects, leave fields blank and select search.
Specify part of a title, a researcher's name and/or select a category from the
from the dropdown menu.